Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Gametime decision

I keep taking all these neat pictures for my blog and put off posting until they are all uploaded and organized and it just aint working out. Last night I made the decision to just update regularily and post pics when I can, even if they are old.

SO lately, switched teams at work, never been happier. I just paint and design all day, which is all I have ever wanted to do. It rained heavily last week and we waited a week, but when we did go down to the beach it was just like going to the dump, plastic bags and plastic cups and plastic straws EVERYWHERE. DId I ever mention how much I hate humanity? Everything in LA just goes straight into the ocean, the storm drains just roll right on in. Cuz you know, its the Ocean! Its Big! Its ok to dump all our shit in there directly, it just goes away!

I'm pretty sure humans are gonna take this planet DOWN, good possibility it will be in my lifetime. I could either be sane and depressed as hell about it, or think this is probably the most exciting time in history, I get to watch the end of the world!! LET IT BURN WOOOOOOOOO. People think I'm crazy when I say shit like this but what are you going to do, look reality in the eye and live in shame and fear of all the stupid decisions greedy oil companies and politicians have made? I can't do shit about it, I mean I try, I recycle like there IS no tomorrow, I avoid taking plastic bags at the store, but at some point you realize that change has to come from the top.

Someone BIG, like the President (not that asshole thats in office now, he can't tie his shoes without "assistance") But someone who realizes we are finite, and so our are resources. Make a law, say within 10 years all plastic packaging has to be biodegradeable. Its available now! There are all these farmers markets and festivals down here in Santa Monica where ALL the plastic plates cups and utensils are biodegradable. They just cost a few cents more each and people are cheap and greedy so the whole world sufffers. Speaking of the whole world, when we pass this law, we need to extend that to ALL things sold in the US. Meaning huge trading partners like CHINA and the rest of the world will be dragged kicking and screaming into a future we might actually be able to continue to exist in. Dammit I'm running, JAKE in 2008!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shit, I'll vote for you Jake. Damn plastic spoons.

Anonymous said...

don't you drive a gas guzzling SUV?

Anonymous said...

You can't bitch about the environment and drive a S.U.V. everyday. Then bitch about polluted oceans and not recycle.

YOU ARE NOT ENTITLED to whatever you want. you should be held responsible for your actions and decisions. Its people with attitudes like you who have killed our planet.

And instead of watching the world "burn down", why not try and make some changes so your children can live.

Leslie said...

A great frog once said, "It's not easy being green."

Anonymous said...

It's okay to have an SUV if you don't drive it everyday.

All consumer goods packaging should be biodegradable. Period.
Storage should be used to slow the rate of degradation if you need something to keep for a year.

Your heart is in the right place Jake, keep making the right decisions instead of the easy ones, and have faith in your fellow man. We can turn it around, we may not have the biodiversity we have now for another 100,000 years, but we can make a difference and keep the dream alive.

jkooza said...

YO someone anyone please leave your name, I have no idea who is writing this stuff

jkooza said...

I have an SUV that I only drive to work which is less than 5 miles and only on days when Yoko needs to drive somewhere farther for business. Most days we drive that gutless gas saving Civic that seriously must get 100 miles to the gallon. I would sell the Jimmy (which is about as small as SUV's get) but I would only get a couple grand for a 9 year old American car and it would cost 3-4 times that to replace it with something equivilant.

And that dont have a thing to do with all the plastics I'm bitching about anyways.

Whos bitching about me not recycling there third down? I recycle more than anyone I know! I recycle EVERYTHING I can! I'll go out of my way not to buy plastic containers that aren't recycleable.

Anonymous said...

I think third down means exactly what they wrote, "You can't bitch about the environment and drive a S.U.V. everyday." Even if you are talking about plastic, it is only a small piece of a global problem. Coincidentally, what material do you think makes up a majority of the interior and exterior commponents of all cars and s.u.v.s. I think third down just means, its a little ridiculous to publicly rant about being an advocate for the envrionment when it seems you hardly practice an eco-healthy life style. I think third down understands that all that a life style like that entails is very complicated and difficult. But it does no good to promote ones self in that light, it only perpetuates the problem.

While we are on the topic. "A hidden cost of SUVs is the price we pay with our natural resources. To keep these gas guzzlers running, oil companies seek to drill in new areas—including some of our nation's most sensitive wilderness habitats. As the number of gas guzzlers on the road grows, so does the pressure to drill in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge—one of the last remaining pristine ecosystems. Fragile coastlines in California and Florida, and lands surrounding Yellowstone National Park are also targets for drilling.

The Exxon Valdez disaster serves as a powerful reminder that transporting oil also threatens our environment. Smaller spills and leaks occur daily, putting waterways and wildlife at risk."

http://www.sierraclub.org/globalwarming/suvreport/energy.asp

Furthermore, "When it comes to wasting energy, SUVs are unrivaled. Built with outdated, gas-guzzling technology, many SUVs get just 13 miles per gallon. And the higher gas prices are, the more money they waste.

Auto-industry advertising portrays SUVs as the ticket to freedom and the great outdoors. Commercials depict them climbing massive snow-capped mountains or tearing through desert sand dunes, taking their owners into the wild. In reality, the only off-road action many of these vehicles see is accidentally driving through a flower bed next to the driveway.

Missing from these ads are other contributions from SUVs—the brown haze of air pollution hanging over many of our national parks, images of weather disasters linked to global warming or the oil derricks and tankers needed to feed gas-guzzling SUVs. In contrast to Detroit's carefully crafted image, SUVs have a dark side. They spew out 43 percent more global-warming pollution and 47 percent more air pollution than an average car. SUVs are four times more likely than cars to roll over in an accident and three times more likely to kill the occupants in a rollover. They also cost the owner thousands more on gasoline."

Anonymous said...

"They just cost a few cents more each and people are cheap and greedy so the whole world sufffers."


"but I would only get a couple grand for a 9 year old American car and it would cost 3-4 times that to replace it with something equivilant.
"

put your money where your mouth is.

also, jsut as a side note, recycling should actually be called 'downcycling' as each successive round of reuse derives a less and less sturdy material, resulting in lower grade plastics and eventually the land fill. it is not an endless loop.