Sunday, June 3, 2007

Arizona Adventures chapter 2

On our way to Phoenix last weekend we stopped off at the Salton Sea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_Sea

Stunning. Unbelieveable. Disgusting. Amazing. Felt like World War 3 had finished, and this is was the world would be like next. Abandoned, scorched, dead, and dying. The sea was literally FULL of dead and dying fish, the shores were lined with bones. There was no sand on the beach, just bones. One of the craziest things I have ever seen. While exploring an abandoned hotel on the beach, I felt a funny tickling between my toes, only to look down at my flip flops to see a big rusty nail sticking RIGHT THROUGH THEM resting comfortably just between my two toes. Dang!

The shore stunk like mad, but it was crazy to see and very inspiring. And on the way back we finally found a "Date Shake" stand, where they serve milkshakes with fresh ground up dates which are very popular and grown there, near the Palm Springs area. We have been looking for them ever since we went to Palm Springs with Megan and Travis early this year.



Our our second outing in Arizona was the stunning Arcosanti architectural/social experiment just north of Phoenix. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcosanti
Seriously, very cool, if flawed experiment. Definitely a step in the right direction.



Our tour of Arizona ended in Sedona, one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen in my life. Red rock spires unlike anything else, deep blue skies and thick green trees everywhere. Stunning. So is Grampas bad fashion sense once he gets out of his 3 piece suits. My god, my eyes still hurt!

No comments: